Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Intro to Fairy Kei

Hello again, friends! It's been a while!


Since the last time I posted, some things have changed regarding my style. Specifically, I have found new style icons and been exposed to new fashion subcultures that seem to fit what I've been looking for. Broadly speaking, I'm very interested in Japanese street style (AKA "Harajuku fashion" or "J-fashion"). But out of all the many subcultures that that encompasses, I am most interested in a style called Fairy Kei.

Fairy kei is all about pastel color palettes, cuteness, and magic! Some common elements include sweets; cute animals or aliens; hearts, moons, planets, and stars; glitter and holograms; and fluffy, soft fabrics. It can also be combined with another, similar styles like Spank! kei and Pop kei, which incorporate fun 80's motifs, popular characters, and plush toys.

All of these main elements of fairy kei are things that I have loved for a long time already, so imagine my happiness when I discovered there was an entire street style entirely devoted to them! I latched onto it right away.

One of my concerns was that it seemed like fairy kei was exclusively feminine, over-the-top girly-girl: I kept seeing long wigs, tons of makeup, dresses and tutus. I wondered whether there were any fairy boys or options for a more androgynous style. At first it seemed like there was no hope. But then, after quite a bit of searching and some recommendations from others in the fashion, I came across a few fairy-kei aficionados who defy the traditionally gendered perceptions of this and other Japanese fashions, and they soon became some of my biggest style icons.











And here is me and my take on the style!





Details:
Collared shirt: Thrifted
Moons and stars sweater: Ebay (second-hand)
Undersea cardigan: NiftyThrifterVintage on Etsy (vintage)
Jeans: Target
Snapback: Claire's (online)
Shoes: Pastry (bought on GetTheLabel.com)
Fuzzy stars clip, heart resin necklace and square resin ring: CreepyKitty on Storenvy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment below, but make sure to BE NICE! Thanks!